The Montessori Teacher Training Institute (M.T.T.I.), an affiliate of the International Association of Progressive Montessori (I.A.P.M.), offers a Teacher Education Diploma Course for Early Childhood 2 ½ – 6 years of age.
1. M.T.T.I. cooperates with the International Association of Progressive Montessori to promote and maintain the highest standards and interpretations of the Montessori method of education and remains open to the most advanced research and innovations being made in the fields of philosophy, psychology, and educational theory to date.
2. M.T.T.I. advocates the wider vision of Dr. Montessori, that of recognizing the importance of the child as the builder of world peace which is essential to the further progress of mankind.
3. M.T.T.I. is committed to the concept of integral education. We believe that our teachers must be prepared to facilitate the physical, intellectual, emotional, psychic and spiritual development of the child.
4. M.T.T.I. believes that we must put the child first; our commitment is to the care and education of children through the preparation of well trained, responsible, sensitive and professional Montessori teachers.
The Montessori Teacher Training Institute was founded on the belief that the future of mankind is totally dependent upon the quality of care and education that we give our children today. Our commitment to the concept of integral education requires that teachers be prepared so they understand the deeper philosophical significance of the Montessori method of education. We believe that our teachers must be able to facilitate the physical, intellectual, psychic, and spiritual development of children; understand the domains of personality and the development of character.
The institute embodies the principals, practices, and ideals central to the Montessori method: respect for the individual, development of the human potential, support of the community, nurturing of the spirit, and pursuit of academic excellence. Our teaching is deeply rooted in the traditions and practices of Dr. Maria Montessori and is enriched by current research in child development and psychology. At M.T.T.I. we aim to enable and empower adults to assist children in their optimal development; and to be a model and a resource for families, childcare centers, schools, and communities.
The faculty represents a rich diversity of experience, knowledge, work styles, and talents. We are committed to personal and professional growth and have made this an essential component of our development program. On going review of latest research, literature, attendance at conferences, personal study, and sharing all enrich and give us an appreciation of the value of each individual’s contribution, and are important to the building of a strong faculty.
The goal for our students is that they achieve satisfaction and excellence in their personal and professional work by being well prepared intellectually, spiritually and professionally to teach children 2 ½ to 6 years using the Montessori Method of Education. M.T.T.I. fosters this development in 3 ways
1.) Through an integrated curriculum and laying a strong philosophical foundation.
2.) Professionally through workshops, seminars, consultation, and feedback from our graduates and associates.
3.) Personally through the process of working with children in the application of the Montessori method.
The educational objectives of the course components are to ensure that our graduates have:
1. General knowledge of Human Development and Educational Theory.
2. General knowledge of Montessori philosophy, principles and psychology.
3. Knowledge of Montessori curriculum and materials, their purpose and aims.
4. The ability to perform as a competent Montessori Teacher.
5. The ability to evaluate performance outcomes in relation to:
c) Prepared Environment
6. The ability to communicate affectively to administration, parents and community. As an affiliate of an International Association, M.T.T.I. accepts students for training from countries around the world. The Teacher Training Diploma issued by M.T.T.I. is accepted and recognized internationally.
The course is nonsectarian and admits all students and staff regardless of race, color, sex, or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded or made available to students in a school. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, nationality, age, or ethnic origin in the administration of our educational policies, admissions policies, or scholarship and loan programs.
The Montessori Teacher Training Institute of Laguna Beach is a private institution and is licensed to operate by the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education. Institution’s license to operate as a private postsecondary institution in the State of California is based on provisions of the California Private Postsecondary Education Act (CPPEA) of 2009 (California Education Code, Title 3, Division 10, Part 59, Chapter 8), which is effective January 1, 2010.